Today I worked on jigging the gear leg sockets. I went to Lowes and bought a 2X2 ft by 5/8″ thick particle board and I also bought a 18″ by 8 ft by 5/8″ thick particle board. The method to my madness will be to drill the AN5 bolt holes that go through the top of the gear legs and sockets first. These will be drilled approx. perpendicular to the axle. Also while I drill the top bolts I will drill the brake flanges since the heat treated 6150 steel will be a challenge to drill through. Once all the bolt holes are drilled I will put the legs and sockets in the jig I built and have the cross members welded in. The long particle board is to bring the axles up so that when the welding is done I have a very accurate no toe in or toe out so that the plane will track straight down the runway. Once the sockets are welded to the correct angles I will cut out the sections of the engine mount I don’t need and insert the new gear sockets. Tomorrow I will go back to lowes and get some 1×1″ wood for the the jig the wood I had around the hangar didn’t work the best hopefully the 1X1″ will be a bit straighter.
Time spent today 3 hours Total time on the mod 6 hours