June 7, 2008
Ah yes Saturday, What gloriously hot day 95 deg with a heat index of 104. My aluminum box uh I mean my hangar was floating around 115 – 116 when I walked and promply open the door to let the oven cool. I removed the molds on th fiberglass and those came out really well. I am very happy with t the finall finish they a have. I promptly got to finishing the wheel pants. I started by checking the gap between the tire and the wheel fairing. I like to be able to fit my fingers between the tire and the wheel fairing. Because I mounted them slightly differently then with my old gear I had to do a little trimming. It took a lot longer then I thought and now my sweaty arms are covered in itchy fiberglass dust. Once I got everything trimmed up I installed the last two nut plates on the wheel fairings. They were never installed before because I had cut so much of the fairing apart I didn’t need them now that I have replaced most of that fairing I installed them. I obviously have some filling and fairing to do but this will suffice for now.
After that I installed the piano hinge for the RH gear leg just like I did the previous hinge on Thursday the 5 jun. I relined the brake pucks installed and safety wired the brake caliper bolts. I did the final install of the wheel fairings. I also made a bracket for the LH gear leg fairing to temporarily keep it from rotating during flight.
Time spent 8 hours
June 6, 2008
Today I went over to my buddies shop to borrow a core drill and a 10-32 tap so that I could drill the axles for the cotter pins and I could tap the axle nuts for the wheel pant brackets. I tapped the RH axle nut for the wheel pant bracket and installed a 10-32 R6 SS machine screw. I also moded the LH axle nut for the same bracket exactly the same way I did it yesterday.
I drilled the axles for cotter pins. Pretty much just set the spot on the axle and drill use a #40 long drill bit make a small mark on each side. I then used my dremel hemispherical grinder to make a nice transition for the threads as to not gall up my axle nut. I then drilled the cotter pin holes using a core drill and my battery drill and lots of oil. The hole cut no problem. Rinse and repeat for the other side.
While the wheels were off and easy to get to I cleaned, inspected and repacked the wheel bearings. After that was done I needed to patch up some cut out on my wheel fairings from when I had my old landing gear installed. I layed up some E-glass and used an spare sheet metal to make the mold using cleco clamps. I also took the time to add some more layers to my previous patch work to stiffen that up a bit. We will see how it comes out tomorrow.
Time spent today 8 hours
June 5, 2008
Today I went up to get my wheel fairing brackets made. I need to use a sheer and a brake to make them perfect so I when up to my buddies shop to use his brake and sheer. Once I made the brackets I brought them down to my hanger to drill the center out for the bolt that holds the wheel farings on. I then installed the 1/4-28 nut plate. Once I had the bracket centered I could use the 1″ hole saw to cut the hole for the gear leg jack pipe. I didn’t have a 10-32 tap to install the screws that hold this bracket to the nut so I will have to wait til tomorrow to fully install it. I then switched gears and started in on my left hand gear leg fairing. I started by figuring out where to locate the piano hinge so as to keep the trailing edge sucked together. Once I had this figured out I marked and drilled the first two holes on either end and installed clecos to hold it in place. I then removed both side of the piano hinge and cut off the excess hinge. I re-installed half the hinge and drill the 1-1/2 spacing for the AN470AD-3 rivits. I also countersunk the fiberglass which and I didn’t think was possible but it worked out just fine. Just be careful on how far to countersink. Rinse and repeat for the other half of the hinge and install the pin.
Time spent 3 hours
June 4, 2008
Today my goal was to get the wheel pants on and secure enough to ground run the plane so that I can check my mags for leaks after changing the gasket. All I really had left to get the pants on and secure was to install 8 nut plates. This took a little while and after getting the right side installed and just cleco’d the left side on because a massive tornado producing storm was headed our way at 55 MPH. I was able to ground run the aircraft and check the mags for leaks. None noted. This means I can start closing up the the engine cowling! Anyway while I was running my engine I decided to taxi around and get a feel for the new gear. What I noticed was it was incredibly more stable with swerves unlike the other gear which like to depart to one side or the other. The comment is that this gear make the Pitts feel like a Citabria on the runway. At this point I can see the what they were trying to say, but maybe not quite that extreme.
Next is getting the gear leg fairing installed.
Time spent 3.0 hours
June 3, 2008
Today I had a bad day at work. Going to the airport is a great soother so of course I went directly after work. I decided to work on my wheel pants. The mounting brackets are not quite in the same location as the last ones. I will have to do some patchwork which is not a real big deal just time consuming. First things first was to mark and drill the brackets for the mounting screws. I did a fair amount of measuring first to get them aligned and then I marked and drilled the locations. I then started working on the gear leg fairings. The way vans does this is to use slits and hose clamps to keep the fairing from falling down. I cut the slits and then decided this was going to last all of 2 hours until it breaks. I am now cooking up a design similar to what Guido has on this pitts gear leg fairing he got form Steve Wolf. sorry about no pictures I keep forgetting my camera at home. What a tragedy.
Time spent 2.5 hours