January 10, 2009
I dug the foam and clay out of the now cured oil cooler hood. This took a bit I used some acetone to help wipe the clay out of the fiberglass. I then took some sand paper and sanded down the area where the engine mount could interface and I also sanded down where the SCAT duct attaches since it didn’t quite fit with the several layers of glass was added. Did some last minute routing and securing of wires and hoses. I reinstalled the oil cooler with the new hood which took some trimming to get to fit right. I then double and triple checked everything and I then re-installed the cowl. As soon as the I got the last screw in the cowl I heard some piter patter on the hangar roof it started raining 😦 so no test flight or ground run today. Tomorrow is supposed to be cold windy and rainy so I guess the flight and ground run will have to wait. Oh well.
Time spent today 3.5 hours total time spent 87.5 hours
January 9, 2009
I spent the day finishing off the mold for the oil cooler hood. I was lucky and found the right size foam cylinder for the SCAT duct. I used some clay to make the radius’s. Most of the time was spent making the oil dip stick door. I used Tony’s (Wolf Aircraft) advice on utilizing the blank that I cut out for the door for the door itself. This worked out great. I added a shim on the piano hinge to make the top of the piano hinge sit flush with the top of the cowl. I also added a piece of the 0.032 aluminum for the door to rest against and a place for the camlock fastener receptical. Anyway I am really happy with the door and it is perfectly placed. I went home later and glassed up the hood with a couple of layers.
Time spent 9 hours total time spent 84 hours
January 1, 2009
As the profile cutting is completed, I have the also important and scary drilling the holes for the screws that attach the spinner cone to the back and front plates. I started with making sure that the spinner was on straight when it rotates I don’t want a wobbly spinner so I used a laser mounted to a tri-pod to make sure that it was centered. I used cleco clamps to hold the spinner to the back plate while I adjusted. It didn’t take much as it was restricted to move to much by the front spinner plate. Once I was happy I need to figure out the screw spacing. Evenly distributed 12 screws on the back plate and 7 screws on the front plate. I figured that would be enough to keep it in place without putting a ridiculous amount of screws on the back. I wanted less screws on the front so I thought 7 would be enough. Wolf sent me 20 screws and nut plates so I had one spare. I measured the distance with a string and subtracted 3/4″ on each side so 1.5″ total then divided that by one less then the number of screws so I would get the correct number of gaps not screw spacing. 6 screws = 5 gaps right! Just checking to make sure you were awake LOL! I set the screw holes 3/4″ from the back of the back plate because I still need to trim about 3/16″ – 1/4″ off to make the spinner clear the cowling which needs to come forward a bit to make it fit better. Anyway started with 3/32 drill bit and worked my way around the cowling drilling and clecoing. I then removed the spinner and started installing the nut plates. This is tedious and take awhile but I got all 19 nut plates installed and re-assembled. I then re-installed the cowling to see how it looked and of course it looked great. This whole process along with figuring out how to do it right the first time took forever as in 6 hours.
Time spent today 6 hours total time 60 hours