Today (saturday and sunday roll up) I spent some time playing with the new hardware I bought from ACS. I had ordered a bunch of new bolts. KP3’s for the Aileron Slave strut arms, AN665 forks for the drag wires ect. I also bought some 0.063 4130N to make backing plates for the Aileron hinges that I will rivit 1/4-28 nut plates into so that I can tighten the aileron block down the road without cutting a hole in the fabric in the future.
I also spent a bunch of time playing with the geometry of the 90 deg bellcrank location. It’s a rather tight area between the drag wire and the bell crank. I studied the photos on raven’s website a bunch and finally came to the conclusion that that the aileron hinge needs to be on the inboard side of the I-strut hole. I also figured out how far inboard after figuring out where center was. The edge of the outboard side of the aileron hinge block will be set 0.3125″ inboard of the I-strut hold centerline. And the aileron attach bolt centerline will be 0.8125″ inboard of the I-strut hole centerline. With the aileron hinge on the inboard side of the the I-strut hole pushes the 90 deg bellcrank past the I-strut 1/4″ doubler by about 0.5″ so I will have to glue in a small amount of 1/4″ to extend the doubler a little to accomdate the new location of the 90deg bellcrank.
After figuring all this out I realized I had made a mistake assembling the wings originally. The ribs unfortunatly matter which way is up on the lowers. This wouldn’t normally matter on a symetrical rib (and doesn’t for the top wing) but the way the truss is set up there happens to be a nice gap as the truss goes the opposite side for the control push rods. One wing I got resonably lucky and only screwed up 2 ribs the other wing I screwed up 3 ribs.
I have two courses of action here both are just fine one is easier both are likely the same strength.
Option 1: Cut the last trust cross member and install one going the other way (really easy) Likely my choice
Option 2: Cut the last truss cross member and sheet the last rib truss area with 1/16″ ply cut the hole for the control tube
Time spent 6 hours
Total time spent 70 hours