Lower Ailerons #9

September 30, 2010

Today I only had a little time but spent it trimming the the tapered tip spar and using the left over spar to drill and cleco the tapered part of the spar. I then filed the spar flush with the newly clecoed spar angles.

Time spent today 1 hours
Total Time spent 250.5 hours


Lower Ailerons #8

September 28, 2010

Tonight I started with cherry riveting the trailing edge on the lower right aileron. I then spent the rest of the night drilling all the holes to finish off the leading edge install. After 3.5 hours worth of work and very careful measuring I got all the holes drilled and clecoed.

Time spent today 3.5 hours
Total Time Spent 249.5 hours

Lower Ailerons #7

September 27, 2010

After thinking how I was clamping the ailerons I decided to take everything apart and reclamp. The idea is to get the nose of the aileron at the center of the radius of the leading edge perfectly so the same amount gets drawn up the sides. The problem is you need a clamp with a 6″ deep grip to do that with how much the leading edge is splayed out. If you pull the sides of the leading edge in enough to get the clamp on the nose and spar you can’t get the nose to sit down tight with the leading edge metal. So I used a piece of wood to extend the edges out past the relaxed leading edge and used two clamps on each side to draw the leading edge metal tight to the nose ribs and tube while I pulled the leading edge metal tight to the spar. This worked better and I was able to drill my first holes. I drilled the holes for each rib on both sides and then I started drilling the holes inbetween the ribs but it was getting late. Again not so many pictures because of the lack of more than two hands but here is the picture after got the first holes drilled and clecoed. I removed a bunch of the clamps so that I could more easily work and mark holes. I also made the trailing edge braces to support the trailing edges on the right lower aileron.

Time spent today 3.5 hours
Total time spent 246 hours

Lower ailerons #6

September 26, 2010

Tonight I drilled the trailing edges of the lower ailerons. I did this by setting the trailing edge at 1/4″ past the end of the rib and then using my square I measured the distanace from that to the spar and then just set the rest at that distance so that the when the trailing edge is straight so is the spar and vice versa. I will rivet those in place with some cherry rivets tomorrow. I then started to tackle a good method to install the leading edges. I think I found a method that will work. I took my 6″ bar clamp and a peice of 1 1/2 by 3/4″ wood sticks I had lying around and started bringing to the two ends together. I then used a straight piece of 2.5 X 2.5 in aluminum angle clamped to the the tails with 1-1/2 by 3/4″ wood to keep the twist out of the aileron. I then forced the nose into the radius of the leading edge using wood on the spar and my bar clamps in multiple places. As I got the leading mostly drawn tight I used my bessie bar clamps to clamp down the leading edge so that it sat flush with the spar. I had to employ the use of my wife as it takes a few hands to do this (the leading edge is strong). I didn’t take to many photos as I need all my hands and legs to get this to work out. In all I used 18 clamps to do this. The good part is I was able to move the wood sticks down far enough that I can still drill the rivet holes. Tomorrow I will start drilling and clecoing everything together.

Time spent today 5 hours
Total time spent 242.5 hours

Lower Ailerons #5

September 14, 2010

Tonight I took the ailerons over to the airport where have access to a air compressor and pneumatic squeezers. I quickly got to work deburing the tails and nose ribs and clecoing them in place. It took 4.5 hours but I was able to buck all the rivets into the ribs and the doublers. Rinse and repeat from the uppers. Now the uppers and lowers are pretty much in the same condition. So now comes the dreaded install of the leading edge.

Time spent today 4.5 hours
Total time spent 237.5 hours

Lower Ailerons #4

September 13, 2010

Tonight I started in on drilling the left aileron nose and tail ribs to the aileron spars. I then marked and cut the aileron ends and clamped the aileron tips to check the fit. I so trimmed the tip bows to fit and the aileron trailing edge to fit. I still need to cut the taper all the way up the full size spar but that can wait. Tomorrow I will debur and rivet the nose and tail ribs to the spars along with the doubler plates.

Time spent tonight 3 hours
Total time spent 232 hours

Lower Ailerons #3

September 12, 2010

Tonight I set out to bring the right side ailerons up to the same progress as the left which ment drilling and installing the aileron hinge brackets. Pretty much rinse and repeat of a couple of days ago. I then decided to start drilling the nose and tail rib rivet holes for the right side and managed to finish that side. So all I have left before riveting is to finish the left side drilling of the ribs and take both of them to the airport for riveting.

Time spent today 4.5 hours
Total time spent 229 hours