Tonight I drilled the trailing edges of the lower ailerons. I did this by setting the trailing edge at 1/4″ past the end of the rib and then using my square I measured the distanace from that to the spar and then just set the rest at that distance so that the when the trailing edge is straight so is the spar and vice versa. I will rivet those in place with some cherry rivets tomorrow. I then started to tackle a good method to install the leading edges. I think I found a method that will work. I took my 6″ bar clamp and a peice of 1 1/2 by 3/4″ wood sticks I had lying around and started bringing to the two ends together. I then used a straight piece of 2.5 X 2.5 in aluminum angle clamped to the the tails with 1-1/2 by 3/4″ wood to keep the twist out of the aileron. I then forced the nose into the radius of the leading edge using wood on the spar and my bar clamps in multiple places. As I got the leading mostly drawn tight I used my bessie bar clamps to clamp down the leading edge so that it sat flush with the spar. I had to employ the use of my wife as it takes a few hands to do this (the leading edge is strong). I didn’t take to many photos as I need all my hands and legs to get this to work out. In all I used 18 clamps to do this. The good part is I was able to move the wood sticks down far enough that I can still drill the rivet holes. Tomorrow I will start drilling and clecoing everything together.
Time spent today 5 hours
Total time spent 242.5 hours