More lower wing misc items #2

November 22, 2010

Today I continued my miscellaneous tasks. I decided to finally glue the lower wings last two ribs. I also glued the upper wing center section nose ribs. And finally I glued the upper wing nose pieces that I added to the last full size rib to give the tip fairings some thing to glue to. Anyway not a whole lot of interesting items but I am narrowing in on a fuselage fit check.

Time spent 2 hours
Total Time spent 368 hours

Advertisements

More misc lower wing stuff

November 20, 2010

Today I finished sanding down the excess parts of corner blocks on the bottom side of the lower wings. I then glued the filler sticks in place. After that I went over to the airport and burned some holes in the sky in my buddies S-1S. Several hours later I came back and decided that I wanted finish the taper on the lower wing rear spar at the tip so i could glue the last two ribs. On all the other spars I used my circular saw to make these cuts but it was done before the hinges and doublers were installed. This time I used my sliding compound miter saw and it worked really well.

Time spent 4 hours
Total time spent 366 hours


Upper and lower wing misc. and random items

November 7, 2010

Today was able to get quite a bit done. I started off by removing the upper wing right trailing edge from the clamps and started trimming and sanding it straight. I then moved over and removed the clamps on the repair of the rib I cracked as it got hung up on my sweat shirt as I was passing by it. The repair came out good and it’s probably strong than before. After that I moved over to the Idler doublers. I decided on the third bay inboard on the lower wing. I realize this is contrary to the the way Raven does it but as I said in the previous posts this is the same location as the Stock S-1S drawings and I like the shorter length of the tube better anyhow so I went ahead and glued on the doublers. After that I glued the upper wing left side trailing edges. Once I was done with that I decided I would measure and cut the control tubes. I used my mocked up wooden dowls with bolt in the end to measure out the correct size and then cut away. I used a small dremel sanding drum to ream out the inside of the tube a little bit but the rod end fitting still didn’t slide in easily. So I took the rod end over to the drill press and chucked it up lightly and using some 150 grit sand paper I let took the cad plating off (it had to come off anyway) and the rod end slide right in to the tube perfectly. I repeated the same thing for the right side. After that I noticed my upper wing center section rib noses just sitting there needing trimming (slightly long) so I measured and trimmed those using my compound powered miter saw. After that I decided I would finish the rib noses for the upper and lower wing tip (extra area for the tip fairings to glue to without splicing them. I made all four of the those and glued the lower wing noses on. BTW I had to cut all those out of 1/4 ply (those didn’t come in the kit and used one of the rib noses as a template). I was playing with the lower right controls and decided I would start incorporating the final hardware. I started to do this but quickly realized that the center hinge bracket bushings, when installed, don’t allow the bearing to slide in (aka to big). I’ll have to call rob on that and ask him whats up with that. If I have to removed the slave strut arm every time I take the aileron off that is a major pain the the ass. I had a few more hours so I started cutting all the spar caps for the lower wings and I managed to get all the but the 7/8″ caps glued down on the top of the wings tomorrow I will flip the wings and glue down the bottoms.

Time spent today 10 hours
Total time spent 362 hours


Upper right trailing edge, control tubes

November 6, 2010

Today I glued the trailing edge on the the upper right trailing edge after I accidentally broke the upper cap strip of one of the upper left ribs. I also repaired/reinforced the broken cap strip. After that I pondered the location of the lower wing control tube idler. I have been debating for some time which bay I should put the idler in. The plans call for third bay but Raven has them in the second bay. I personally don’t like the length of the control tube inside the wing. Raven had increased the size to 3/4″ to combat vibratory issues (due to length) and to increase the strength but even so I still didn’t like it so I went with the original plans location at the third bay. I spent some time making a mock up control tube out of 3/4″ wooden dowel and a 5/16″ bolt with the head cut off off. This worked really well and allowed me to mock up the control tube and monitor clearances before I cut the metal tubes.

Time spent today 4.5 hours
Total Time spent 352 hours


Upper Ailerons #13

November 5, 2010

Tonight I spent some time working on the upper right ailerons improving the fit. I then moved over the left upper aileron and started the cutting the hinge cutouts. I did the same way I did all the others by drilling some 3/8″ holes and then using cut off wheel on my grinder to make the cuts through the leading edge tubes and then down to the 3/8″ holes. I finished them using some tin snips and metal file. After I got them to fit well I expanded the gaps between the hing blocks and ailerons. I then expanded the cut out to make room for the drive arm on the center hinge. Once I got that to fit well I repeated it on the upper right aileron. At this point the ailerons are finished.

Time spent today 7.5 hours
Total time pent 347.5 hours