Wing Rigging #4 and I-struts

Today I spent a some time at the airport today in the hopes of starting the fit of my I-struts. I started with checking the rig from the other day and realized I had a bit of work to do. I did some more measuring and found the sweep of the upper wing differs by 0.5 in. So I will need to adjust the left side of the upper wing forward by 1/4″ and the right side aft by 1/4″. The lower wings are identical since the right wing aft attach bracket has to be adjusted and re-drilled so I have it clamped in the correct spot. I decided to leave that for later and I wanted to work on the I-struts a bit.

I-struts… I needed to bend the I-strut top and bottom 3/4″ square tubing to the shape of the respective airfoils so I went ahead and got those bent. Once I got all four tubes bent I started to fit the streamline tubing to check to make sure I had enough material since I was a little worried that I wouldn’t have enough. As it turns out I have just barely enough streamline tubing which is a relief since that stuff is $45/foot and it would suck to miss the length by only a 1/4″ or so but no worries now that I know I have enough.

Time spent 4 hours
Total time spent 400 hours

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: