Today I wanted to get the slave struts fitted so that I could get the wings off the fuse and brought back home for finishing. There are several options for the end of the slave strut one can use a fork but it has to be custom machined like the S1-11 drawings call for or you can use a rod end. I decided to use a rod end. Anyway I when to fit the slave strut with the fork up like on the S-1S and S1-11 drawings however this doesn’t fit with the Raven control arm. The control arm hits the back of the slave strut. So what I did was decided to remove a little material to allow more room to get the appropriate control throw. I don’t have a picture of this but I don’t recommend it. Anyway I decided that wasn’t going to work very well and I had seen on the S-1T that the slave struts are actually inverted so that the rod end bearing was on the upper aileron. It wouldn’t make any difference which side it was on anyhow and it fit much better. However, I had to remove a lot material from the leading edge the same width of the slave strut almost all the way back to the spar, but I figured it would be ok since there is a larger flange on the spar there to distribute the load over the area. I will take a picture later and post it. Any way I think I have it all figured out. The current cut out is rough and will need to radius widened, this was just to get it to temp fit. The only other problem is there isn’t a whole lot of room for the bolt to fit in-between the hinge mount and the slave drive arm. I might need to shim it out some from the bracket it is attached to.
I got everything I need to get done at the airport so I took the wings off and took them home. Time to finish these things off and get them covered.
Time spent 3 hours
Total time spent 470.5 hours