Gluing the lower wing aileron cove ply

March 31, 2011

Today I got right to work cutting and trimming the two lower wing upper side cove plys. I did this much the same as I have in the past except I used an abundance of cloths pins to clamp the trailing edge down.

Time spent 3 hours
Total time spent 598.5 hours

Advertisements

Gluing the lower wing upper side I-strut bay ply

March 29, 2011

Tonight I worked on the lower wings upper side I-strut bay plys. I started locating the spot were the 90 deg bell crank bolt on the ply and drilling a hole that allows a socket wrench in and the bolt out so that if I ever want to remove the bell crank I can after cutting a hole in my fabric of course but the option is there. Also I drilled a hole for the control rod bearing bolt so that I can install those and remove them in the future too. If I ever want to make them a inspection panel I can afterwards (even after fabric) by cutting the hole and gluing a doubler plate on the back side. After that I glue the surface down. I also glued the trailing edge ply strips too.

Time spent today 2.0 hours
Total time spent 595.5 hours


Lower wing bottom side wing walk

March 27, 2011

Today I removed the clamps from last nights gluing of the lower left wing ply pieces. I got right to work gluing the lower right and lower left wing walk lower side plys. I also glued the lower left wing compression strut cap plys and glued the hand hold end caps that I made to square up the hand hold.

I filed and sanded the hand hold ply that I glue yesterday so that it tapers smoothly into the hand hold bow. I also filed the lower right and left wing tip cap to transition smoothly into the tip bows.

Time spent 2.5 hours
Total time spent 593.5 hours


Lower wing cove cap ply and upper wing hand hold center ply

March 26, 2011

Thursday I removed the clamps on the upper handhold left side ply and the lower left wing aileron cap strip. I then tapered the ply on the upper hand hold into the hand hold bow like you see in the below pictures. Lastly I mixed up some clear coat and coated the areas that would be hard to get to when I glue the aileron cove cap ply.

Friday I fell asleep on the couch watching TV after a long week at work no work on the wings.

Today I trimmed and cut the hand hold center ply. I then marked and cut the hole for the hand hold using a utility knife. After that I cut and trimmed the lower right wing lower side aileron cap and tip ply. After that I glued both the hand hold and aileron cap ply. I also cut the 1/4″ cap plys for the lower right wing and one of the lower left wing and glued those too.

Later that evening (11 hours later) after I did some yard work and watch some movies I went down to see if the glue had set up and it had. I then un-clamped everything and mixed up some glue for the lower left wing aileron cove ply. I also cut and glued the lower right wing compression rib ply and the lower left wing 1/4″ rib cap plys.

Time spent today and yesterday 4.5 hours
Total time spent 591 hours


Gluing the lower left wing lower aileron cove strip and the upper wing hand hold ply

March 23, 2011

Tonight I removed the clamps on the lower right wing lower side aileron cove strip clamps. I also removed the clamps on the lower right wing, wing walk ply. I went around to the various areas I had glued the day before on the upper wing and sanded the joints to make them perfect. I then worked on the lower left wing lower side aileron cove strips by cutting some notches to allow the hinges to slide out in the future. I also cut the joint for the tip piece that comes out to the tip bow. I then trimmed and rehearsed the clamping of the hand hold ply. I mixed some glue and glued the hand hold ply and the cove strip in place. After that I cut and trimmed the lower right wing lower root plys.

Time spent today 2.5 hours
Total time spent 586.5 hours


Upper wing compression strip ply and lower right wing aileron cove strips

March 22, 2011

Tonight I got right to work by removing the clamps on the previous days gluing the of the upper wing right side aileron cove cap plys. They came out well and I immediately started to trim the extra wood off the tip bow and sanded it to shape on the both the upper left and right tips. I finished it off with 150 grit sand paper they both turned out as good as their brothers siblings on the lower side.

I then cut and fit the compression rib cap plys those were ready to glue down. I then moved over to the lower right wing aileron cove and cut and trimmed the lower side aileron cove strip. I notched the top and bottom side so that I could remove the hinge in the future, I would be able slide it out. I then mixed up some glue and glued the strip down and the upper wing compression rib plys on the both the upper wing left and right sides and finished by gluing the bottom right wing wing walk ply since it was previously clear coated days before.

Time spent today 3 hours
Total time spent 584 hours


Gluing the upper wing right upper side plys

March 21, 2011

Today I removed all the clamps from the previous day’s gluing session and all came out well. I measured and cut out the backing plate for the lower left wing inspection hole using my utility knife and straight edge. I drilled the screw holes and installed the #8 nut plates with my left over pop rivets. After that I cut and trimmed the upper wing upper right side aileron cove caps. I clear coated the inside of the coves and glued them in place. I had some left over glue so I glued the all the rest of the 1/4″ rib cap plys on both right and left sides. I aso glued the lower left inspection hole backing plate.

Time spent tonight 3 hours
Total time spent 581 hours