Filling the bottom side of the upper wing

April 30, 2011

Today I did some cleaning and moved the lower wing back over the tables and flipped the upper wing over so that I could do some filling on the bottom side. I apply polyester resin to the areas that had joints to fill in low spots. After it dried I sanded them down flush. Sorry no pictures. The polyester resin is really really smelly and my wife is starting to hate me. She asked if covering was going to be this stinky and I said I hope not. Just to put her at ease I went down and opened up all the glue, primer, and top coat paints from stewarts to smell them and found that they arn’t that smelly at all, well atleast not worse than house paint.

Time spent 2 hours
Total time spent 638 hours

Advertisements

Fitting the upper right aileron filling the top side of the top wing

April 29, 2011

Today I worked on the upper right aileron to get it to fit and to also assemble the middle hinge spacers and brackets. this is largely the same as the previous post mostly rinse and repeat. After that I moved the upper wing back over to my boxes and proceeded to mix some bondo fill any gaps and smooth any joints. I concentrated on the center section hand hold area the center section front where the leading edge and the center section ply wood intersect. I also filled the I-strut joints as well. After it dried I sanded it smooth. After all that was done I moved the lower wing over to the upper wing and temp assembled the wings so that I could figure out how the slaves struts fit and to make a small notch in the lower wing trailing edge cove for the slave strut. Turns out everything fits really well and is silky smooth. Doing the final fit of the ailerons took a really long time but it worth it for the nice silky smoothness of the aileron system.

Time spent today 6 hours
Total time spent 636 hours


Fitting the upper left aileron

April 27, 2011

Today I set off to get the upper left aileron to fit silky smooth. I largely did the same thing as I did on the lower ailerons. I had to make yet another shim of of 6061-T6 0.090 thick aluminum to shim the control arm out just a bit. I then had to do some trimming of the aileron slave strut fit with the rod end bearing. I also installed and trimmed the center hinge bracket steel spacers so that the rod end fit well.

Time spent 3 hours
Total time spent 630 hours


Fitting the lower left aileron

April 21, 2011

Today I worked with the lower left aileron by fitting it with the final hardware for the hinges and final install of the lower left wing hinges. I started by shortening the drive arm so that the hinge bolt is 2-3/8″ from the drive bearing. I think I spoke about this before but my drives were a little long from Raven initially. After that I decided to make an aluminum shim from some spare 0.090 6061 plate I had around. This is to offset the slave strut drive away from the hinge to make some clearance for the bolt. After that I loosely installed all the hinge hardware and installed the aileron after it was bolted down I then tightened the hinge brackets to the aileron so that I had a match fit. I adjusted the distance of the hinge bearings so that the correct gap.

Time spent today 3 hours
Total time spent 627 hours


Fitting the lower right aileron

April 15, 2011

I installed the lower right aileron very similarly to the way that I did the lower left aileron (read above I actually did this one first but forgot to blog it until after I did the left side). I shortened the drive arm and installed all new and final hardware, adjusted the distance ect.

Time spent 3 hours
Total time spent 624 hours


Sanding the upper aileron coves and filling the ailerons

April 10, 2011

I removed the clamps today on the upper wing aileron coves. I proceeded to sanding the edges of the coves smooth to the touch with 150 grit sand paper. I then cut out the hinge locations and made sure the hinge fit. After that I played around with some body filler to fill in some areas that need to be smooth like the tip lap joint and some rivet areas.

Time spent today 3 hours
Total time spent 621 hours


Making upper aileron false cove ribs and gluing the coves

April 9, 2011

Today I worked on finishing up the false rib cut outs which took a while since I was rough cutting the 1/4 ply with my miter saw and then cutting the radius using my coping saw and a vice and smoothing with a flap disc. I know crude but it works. Anyway after I cut all the false ribs I marked the location of the hinges so that I can cut the hinge holes out after the gluing. I cut and trimmed the aileron cove and proceeded to clear coat the inside of the coves and the inside of cove area on the wings. I proceeded to glue all the cove false ribs and the plys into place.

Time spent today 4 hours
Total time spent 618 hours