Moving the upper wings and cleaning the coves

April 8, 2011

Tonight I did some rearranging of the basement. I moved the upper wing over to the table on to racks so I could work on the aileron coves. I moved the lower wing to the other side of the table and placed them on racks as well. I then got to work on cleaning the excess glue from gluing the aileron bay cap plys and from clear coating. I also started to cut out set of the the false cove ribs to support the area around the hinges.

Time spent 2 hours
Total time spent 612 hours

Advertisements

Lower aileron cove post gluing

April 4, 2011

Tonight I removed the clamps from the lower wings aileron coves. I am really pleased with the result and I am happy I did this now. I spent the rest of the evening sanding a slight radius on the edges and trimming the tip cove flush, and finally trimming the cutting the aileron hinge holes.

Time spent 2 hours
Total time spent 610 hours


Sanding the hand hold and gluing the lower wing aileron coves

April 3, 2011

Today I was a very productive day. First off headed out the airport and did some flying in my buddies Grumman Tiger. After that I headed home and did some stuff around the house so that I could earn the right to spent 6 hours in the basement. Remember guys, you can just always go work on your projects you have to do stuff for and with your wife so you don’t get yelled at, a little goes a long way in this area. Anyway I started by trimming tapering the recently glued hand hold area. I then made the hand cut out and sanded it smooth.

After that I flipped the lower wing vertical so that I could work on the cove with the wood I got from Raven. I will be installing 0.8 mm Finnish birch plywood in the cove area since the aluminum cove didn’t work out so well or not well enough for my standards. Any way the coves were cut to size already and ready to squeeze in. But before I do that I wanted support the areas where the hinges come through with some 1/4″ ply so I made up 10 pieces that I sanded to the shape of the cove. This took a very long time and they are on my list of PITA. Anyway I cut the hinge holes out on one of the sides but after I did that I realized that they were just to fragile so on the left wing I just marked the location for cut out later. After that I clear coated the inside of the cove and the ply and glued everything in place. I clamped them down using a 2″ and 1.5″ PVC Schedule 40 pipe had laying around.

Time spent today 6 hours
Total time spent 608 hours


Upper wing hand hold lower side ply

April 2, 2011

Today i decided I would glue the upper wing lower side ply close out. This is a PITA (Pain In The Ass) with all the tapers its hard to get clamps in there to hold. but I eventually got everything clamped and stabilized.

I then drilled the flying wire through holes for the I-strut bays on all 4 sides. And i finished up with sanding all the joints were I just glued the rib caps plys. I am very nearing general wing building with the following left to do before I clear coat everything:

1) Glue the fiberglass wing tips in place
2) Weld the control tube rod ends
3) Glue the upper wing hand hold ply center
4) Cut trim and glue the wood Cove material I just got in from Raven.
5) Smooth everything out with body filler.
6) Clear Coat
7) Start Covering.

Time spent 2 hours
Total time spent 602 hours.


Gluing the lower wing upper side rib plys

April 1, 2011

Tonight I glued the lower wing upper side ribs plys. I also messed around with how I was going to clamp the upper wing hand hold ply.

Time spent tonight 1.5 hours
Total time spent 600 hours