Aileron filling roll up post

July 25, 2011

This post covers Monday – Wednesday 25-27 Jul 2011

25 JUL 2011
Since the lower right aileron was filled up to the brush I used the 320 grit open coat sand paper and “wiped” and bumps off the surface and I wiped and sprayed that down with air hose and terry towel. I got it into the paint booth for its first cross coat of filler. I decided to spray this one horizontally laying on some wood strips between boxes which works pretty good but you have to wait for the coat to dry so that you can flip it and spray the other side so it takes a little longer. While that was drying I moved on to the upper right aileron vacuum, clean with the cleaner, rinse with fresh water, iron the tapes then apply the first brush coat of the filler. By the time that was done I was able to go bake in and spray the other side of the lower right aileron. Once that was done I was able to flip the brushed aileron and brush the first coat on the bottom side of the upper right aileron. After that coat dried I was able to brush the cross coat on both sides of the aileron.

26 JUL 2011

The fresh sprayed lower right aileron was then sanded lightly as to be very careful not to go through the filler coats. It was pretty hard to get it smooth at this point and my fingers got pretty tired. After it was sanded I wiped and sprayed air to clean and got it back in to the paint booth. This time I got the upper right aileron wiped down with 320 open coat and took it into the booth with me and mearely traded off on each one until there was 1 cross coat on the upper right and two cross coats on the lower right. While the spray was drying I worked on the upper left by cleaning, ironing and then brushed 1 cross coat of the filler.

27 JUL 2011

I wasn’t happy with the smoothness of the filler on the lower right so I decided to sand the aileron smooth with 320 grit. This took about an hour and really sucked but I figured it would be worth it. I then also lightly sanded the upper right but I didn’t have enough time to spray them that will wait til next time.

Total time all three days 7 hours
Total time 716.5 hours


Cleaning and brushing the fill coats on the lower right aileron

July 19, 2011

Tonight I decided that since the lower left aileron is done for now I would get started on the lower right aileron fill process. I started by vacuuming the aileron to get the dust off and then I sprayed cleaner on to the aileron and wiped with a damp coth. I finished by rinsing with a fresh terry towel and water. After that used some compressed air to blow off the left over terry towel fuzzies and redid the finish ironing the tapes to make sure they were down. I then got right into the brush coats of the eko fill. I did the top side in short order and then did the second coat after that. Came out pretty good.

Time spent 1.5 hours
Total time spent 709.5 hours

more filling the lower left aileron

July 18, 2011

So since my over spraying the lower left aileron I have sanded down the runs and resprayed 1 coat and sanded again but fairly light this time and final sprayed the last two cross coats of the EKOFill. It turned out pretty good but I won’t know for sure until I get the top coat on. BTW the sanding is kinda a bitch and am not looking forward to the large wings at this point hopefully it goes better on the lower right aileron…

Time spent 4 hours
Total time spent 708 hours

Eko Fill the lower left aileron

July 1, 2011

Kinda a roll up post on the eko filling the lower aileron. So I decided to dig into one of the lower ailerons 1 for now just to get the hang of the stewarts systems products. First off I mixed up the eko clean to a 1:18 mixture of cleaner to water and I lightly sprayed that on the to the aileron wiping it with a clean damp terry towel. I then rinsed with a wet terry towel. The problem I imediatly noticed was that the terry towels that stewarts tells you to use leave a lint on the surface. I found that high pressure air nozzle removed it very well but i figured this out after I did my first coat of the brush part. I let it dry over night and did the second coat of after I lightly sanded the terry towel lint off the surface. I then did the second coat. After it dried I lightly sanded that as well. I then sprayed the first cross coat with the Devilbiss Finish line 3 gun with two craftsman pro 7.4 CFM compressors tee together to make 15 ish CFM. After it dried I sanded that lightly to get it smooth and then sprayed the 2nd cross coat. I only got one coat in and realized I got a little over zealous and sprayed too much and it started to run! Damn it! Anyway it was only a few runs and I should be able to sand them out and continue the last cross coat. Were it didn’t run it looked really smooth and nice and I was pretty satisfied so I hope I will get the runs out and try again. If not I pull the covering off and try again that is why I tried the ailerons first I don’t waste much money in covering supplies just a bunch of time.

Time spent 5 hours
Total time spent 704 hours