Fuselage and all metal part Powdercoated and Fuse Rotisserie

October 31, 2011

Today I got the call from Triton Metals (where my fuse and parts were being blasted and powder coated) and they said it was all done. I ran over there on my lunch break and picked up my parts and pieces. They did an excellent job, I was really impressed. Total cost for all metal parts was $1460 for blast and powdercoat. After I got home from work I started organinzing things and I decided I need to make a fuse rotisserie for covering and painting. So I ran to lowes to get some 2X4, brackets and caster wheels and I spent the evening making the Rotisserie.

Time spent 3 hours
Total time spent 881 hours

Advertisements

Upper Wing Covering Part 3

October 30, 2011

Today I started by making a reinforcing patch for the center wing mount brackets. It was simply cut from a piece of spare cloth and trimmed smartly to encompass the brackets nice an clean. I then started marking out the stitch locations. I went with a 1 inch spacing everywhere except the I-strut bays where I went with 2 inch spacing. This means I will have 140 stiches in the upper wing by the time I am done. As with the ailerons i will will be using the above the fabric seine knot not the hidden hitch since the kimballs swear that with the hidden hitch knot you cannot keep the runner tight which can lead to loosening stiches in the future. After I got both sides marked and pre-punched I cut and taped the ribs with 3/8″ rib reinforcing tape/cloth. I started in on the first 4 sitches but it was getting late and I needed to go to bed.

Time spent today 6 hours
Total time spent 878 hours


Covering the Upper wings Part 2

October 29, 2011

Yesterday I had covered the bottom side of the upper wings. Today i wanted to the get the upper side done as well. I started off my again pre-gluing the edges and the panels that I wanted the fabric to stick to and let them tack up. I then draped the fabric over the wing and positioned it so that I had a full “double cover of the leading edge. I wanted the joints of the upper and lower fabric to fall on the back side of the front spar. Once I got it positioned i tacked everything down with my small iron. I then did glued the fabric down and wiped the excess glue from the joints. Once I was done with that I let things dry for a while and then did an initial shrink up to 250 deg.

Time spent today 6 hours
Total time spent 872 hours


Covering the Upper wing

October 28, 2011

Since the fuse wasn’t going to make it back to the house today I decided I would spend the weekend covering the upper wing since it was ready for the fabric. I started by cleaning all the dust out the upper wing from the weeks of metal work and just normal dust that accumulates. I used my aircompressor attachment and rag. I then secured the drag wire interections with nylon tubing and zip ties. After that I pre coated the bottom side of the wing and all the edges with the Eko Bond glue and waited for it to tack up. I draped the wing with fabric and started smoothing out the rinkles. After I got the fabric laying nice and smooth I started to tack everything down with my small iron. Once I got everything tacked I trimmed the excess fabric and finshed tacking everything down. I then brushed glue through the joints and wiped with a blue towel. I let everything dry for a few hours and then I did the initial shrink to 250 deg. While I let everything dry I lightly sanded the roughness of the stringers and did some shop clean up.

Time spent today 6 hours
Total time spent 866 hours


Fuselage Stringers

October 26, 2011

Since the fuse and all the metal parts are off at the poweder coater I decided to get started on the finishing of the wooded stringers and bulkheads for when the fuse gets back from the coaters. Basically they were cut to shape but i need to sand the edges that touch the fabric so that they don’t have any sharp edges. I also decided to sand the rest of the stringers smooth prior to clear coat. After I finished sanding the stringers and bulk heads I applied the clear coat and let them dry.

Time spent today 3 hours
Total time spent 860 hours


Powder coating time

October 24, 2011

I packed up the truck with the fuselage, Stabs, Rudder, Elevator, all the control tubes, I-struts, and a box full of parts and pieces. The powder coater I used will be media blasting, phosphate wash and Powder coating with TCI 9840 Signal white. The powdercoat is a Polyester TGIC powder which has excellent chemical resistance and is nice and crack resistant. So hopefully I will be able to go pick it up by the end of the week. Also made up some really detailed instructions and photos with labels at the below links.

Powder Coating parts pictures.ppt
Inventory.doc


Finish welding and engine mount separation

October 10, 2011

I have been busy in the basement the last couple of days. I finished welding the elevator control tube rod ends on all three control tubes so that’s 5 total. I cut out tail wheel steering horn and welded the attachment tube to it. After I did that I aligned the steering horn and drilled the holes for the two AN3 bolts. I cut and welded rudder pedal gussets that are to help support the brake pedal and give more surface area for my toes to rest. I built an engine support with caster so that I could separate the engine from the fuselage but keep it in a position to roll around as required. Once the engine was separated I rolled the fuselage over and finished all the bottom side welds. After all that was completed, I think I’m done welding… I called my powder coating shop and re-confirmed my powder coating date 2 weeks from now. I then quickly packed for my 9 day work trip.