April 30, 2012
(two day roll up April 29/30) So today amp’d up after the previous day of good luck with the lower left wing I took the lower right wing down off the wall and cleaned and sanded it. I got it all sanded up and that was about the amount of time I had and figured I would shoot it with paint the following day.
The next day after work I got home with full intention on shooting the white on the wing. I got the dust off the wing by wiping and blowing the wing down with compressed air and then wiping it down with an alcohol damp rag. I loaded it into the booth and shot the white on it.
Time spent last two days 6 hours
Total time spent 1286 hours
April 29, 2012
Today I started off by sanding down and the out side of the left and right kick panels. They had a bit a orange peel more than I would accept for the amount of work it took to fix it. I sanded it down with my orbital sander using 320 grit sand paper until it was smooth again. I then re-shot the paint and it came out a mirror shine.
After that I took the lower left wing off the wall and sanded it smooth again with my orbital sander and scotch-brite pads. I cleaned it off with a rag damp with alcohol and I mixed up 25 ounces of Part A (the most I have mixed today at once) and shot the white on the wing. It was a little bit cooler in the basement (68 deg F) so it took longer than normal between coats before it would tack enough for the next coat. What usually takes only 40-45 minutes to paint took nearly 65 minutes, and I probably could have waited longer.
Another thing to note is that my white Part A is thinner than the blue Part A. So for my white I divide by 3.0 for water and for my blue I divide by 2.75. So when you get a new gallon of paint Always check the first couple of batches viscosity with the M-50 cup. I recommend 20-22 seconds 19 will want to sag if painted on the vertical 24 or more won’t flow out as good and will leave with a less mirror shine or almost dull orange peel look.
Time spent today 8 hours
Total time spent 1280 hours
April 28, 2012
Today. I spent some time prepping the upper ailerons for top coat. I started by cleaning them of all the dust over the last 8 months of sitting around and then I sanded them and scotch-brited them. I also wanted to get some paint on the throttle panel and wobble pump lever so I loaded them into the booth as well. I mixed up paint and shot them to a nice pretty white.
Time spent today 4 hours
Total time spent 1272 hours
April 14, 2012
Today, I worked on the cowlings briefly to sand off the polyester filler I added to the cowling to fill the rivets and other low spots. I then prepped the fuselage for top coat by using compressed air to get the sanding dust off. I then wiped the whole thing down with alcohol and then loaded into the paint booth. I mixed up paint and tacked the fuse off and shot the top coat.
Time spent today 3 hours
Total time spent 1260 hours