July 31, 2012
Today I spent a good chunk of the day doing some relatively seemingly simple tasks of routing the fuel drain line. I didn’t want to waste any more 5052 tube so I decided to get the route good with my 3003 tube that is really flexible first then match it with the tube bender. First thing was first though, before I left for the airport I welded the 1/8″ NPT union to the attachment plate for the drain pet cock and the staight flare fitting at the bottom of the fuel drain tube. Once I got to the airport I counter sunk and bucked the nut plates that hold the plate to the bottom belly pan. After all that was done i was able to get an idea on how the routing was going to end up. I used the versa tube (3003-0) to get my routing right and I matched pretty quickly. I then flared both sides and installed the tube.
After that I had my wife help me route and secure my engine ground wire. I have a ground wire that comes off one of the four studs that would be where a prop governor would go if I had one. I have a 4 gauge wire that go to one of the mouning bolts for the inverted oil valve which acts like a ground lug. On the back side (inside the cockpit) I have more 4 gauge wire that runs all the way back to the battery. This way the battery has a non frame ground attachment to the starter. The only wires that ground to be frame are master switch and the oil pressure and temp gauges. If the ground isn’t good enough I will route a ground wire to the ground lug and attach it there. But I’m betting it will be plenty good.
I also finished up drilling the final holes for the rivets of the 3/4″ angle on the bottom side of the firewall so that I can finish the forward belly pan. Those rivits just need to be installed and that area is finished up.
Time spent today 6 hour
Total time spent 1518 hours
July 21, 2012
Today I spent a really long time working on the rear baffles. I started off by measuring how much of the baffle I would need to trim off. I measured marked and then trimmed the excess off the baffle. I then put the cowling up temporarily to check and I saw that I need to trim more. Once I got it the correct height I spent some time cleaning up the edges and drilling holes for the overlap screws. After I got everything cleaned up and de-burred I shot some rivets to connect them. I also installed some nut plates in the overlap area. I drilled and trimmed the ignition lead plastic grommets holes and ran the ignition leads through them. I then drilled all the holes for the screws that hold the silicone baffle seal to the baffle. I then installed everything including the safety wire that ties the bottom pieces together. After all that I installed the prop. It still needs to be torqued and safety wired so I’ll do that tomorrow.
Time spent today 8 hours
Total time spent 1498 hours
July 21, 2012
I brought the ailerons out the the airport to weigh out the counter balance weight. I installed all four and leveled the aircraft poured the counter balance weight into the cup and hung it from the leading edge. I found that the lower ailerons need about 0.75 lb of leading edge weight and the upper ailerons need about 0.8 lb with the slave strut installed.
Time spent 2 hours
Total Time spent 1492 hours
July 17, 2012
Tonight I spent several hours fitting the belly pan that I haven’t finished yet. I hadn’t checked the fit since I put the engine back on and I needed to cut out a part of it to fit around the gear leg. I also spent some time finishing up the flying wires by fairing them and then tightening the jam nut and installing the cotter pins. I also installed the second jam nut on the wing side of the wire. Finally I installed the torque tube aileron drive bolt.
Time spent 3 hours
Total time spent 1490 hours