Putting the airplane together for the weighing and weighing the plane

This is a numerous day roll up. The last several days I have been prepping for the aircraft weighing. Simply installing the panels is several hour ordeal. Between friday evening, saturday morning and all sunday I was able to get all the panels, fairings, cowling, and canopy on to the plane and fitting correctly. With the aircraft level I drained all I could from the fuel from the level attitude from the gascolator so that I would get the unusable fuel. I also installed the wheel pants. With the aircraft level I used a plumb bob to get the arm location of the main wheel and tail wheel. Using the forward leading edge as 65.05″ datum my main gear was at 52.55″ and my tail wheel was at 193.63″. After I was completely satisfied I pulled out my aircraft scales and pushed the aircraft up on to the scales and checked the level. The total empty weight of the aircraft was 830 lb. This is much heavier than I had hoped but If I install the Aerovoltz battery that will bring me down to 819 Which is pretty good.

Monday through Wednesday I spend several evenings getting the Pitot Static system leak checked. Originally I had pretty good sized leak on both the pitot and static lines. Monday brought several hours of chasing a leak in the Pitot line. I used the FAA suggested technique of attaching a surgical tube to the pitot tube and rolling it up to bring the airspeed up to cruise speed. So i brought it up to 160 MPH. Originally It pretty much flopped right back to 0 MPH. After I sealed the threads on the Pitot tube it has a very small leak of 2.5 MPH per minute. There is no FAA regulation so the acceptable leak but from best practices I see that 10% of the cruise speed per min is typically adopted that would be 16.0 MPH/Min so I am more then within that. Next Is the altimeter. I had to Tee into the the Static line and used the FAA technique of rolling up a tube then attaching it and letting it out till I got 1000 ft above field then timed the leak down. At first it leaked pretty bad but after I sealed the threads at the Pitot tube it held the altitude to 125 ft/min. Which at this point I am calling acceptable since this aircraft is VFR-Day only. If I was flying IFR I would think differently.

I also ran the engine again for about 15 minutes with the cowling on. After that I will remove all the cowlings for the final inspection.

Time spent 30 hours
Total time spent 1620 hours

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: