June 3, 2012
Again a two day roll up. I continued working on the upper wing trim colors by sanding the areas where the blue was going. There was quite. Bit of area to sand so I decided to let the orbital sander nod the big areas then I hand sanded the small areas and areas near ribs and tapes. I sanded the upper part of the wing on Saturday night but decided I would be up to late to finish and quit early. On Sunday I hit it hard and finishing the sanding and prepping. My wife helped me load the wing into the booth and I measured the area to be painted and mixed paint. The new gallon of blue seems to like water The 3.0 ratio where as the previous gallon like 2.75 to get 21 secs. Oh well word to the wise all ways check the viscosity. Anyway I got the blue shot with no issues and Eve helped me pull the tape. Man, do I have a great wife or what! Anyway I thought it interesting to note that I wrote this post, and posted it all the while sitting up at FL400 on southwest flight heading across the country. Isn’t technology neat these days!
Time spent last 2 days: 6 hrs
Total time spent: 1364 hrs
March 20, 2012
Tonight I cleaned off the upper wing and re-hung it in the paint booth and shot the 2nd cross coat. I also shot the lower left cowling extension with the white primer. Not much to else to say.
Time spent 2 hours
Total time spent 1200 hours
March 18, 2012
Today I spent a bunch of time working on each cowling. I spent most of the time on the cowling that needed an extension to fix the engine (left side) it took several iterations to get the cowling as smooth as I wanted but I eventually did. I also prepped the upper wing by wiping it with 320 sandpaper to get the bumps off from the brush coats of Eko-fill. I then hung it in the paint booth and sprayed it. I found that one cross coat of the upper wing with the 1.3mm tip 23-25 psi at the gun takes approx 2/3 of the hopper of paint. After it was done and dried I did the initial sanding with my orbital sander and scotch brite pad.
Time spent today 8 hours
Total time spent 1198 hours
March 17, 2012
Today I took the morning to go flying with my buddy to work on my instrument rating. This afternoon I started prepping the left side cowling for paint. It will need a bit of body filler as this is the side that I had to widen for the engine to fit. It also has some areas that need some filler to fill in some voids after the molding process. I started by sanding all the gel coat down with 320 to give it some grit for the paint and to also clean it up since it had bugs and other things on it. The sanding worked really well the cowling looks great. After that I re-installed the ladder back into the paint booth and hung the I-struts, right stab, rudder and elevators for their 3rd cross coat.
Time spent 5 hours
Total time spent 1190 hours
January 10, 2009
I dug the foam and clay out of the now cured oil cooler hood. This took a bit I used some acetone to help wipe the clay out of the fiberglass. I then took some sand paper and sanded down the area where the engine mount could interface and I also sanded down where the SCAT duct attaches since it didn’t quite fit with the several layers of glass was added. Did some last minute routing and securing of wires and hoses. I reinstalled the oil cooler with the new hood which took some trimming to get to fit right. I then double and triple checked everything and I then re-installed the cowl. As soon as the I got the last screw in the cowl I heard some piter patter on the hangar roof it started raining 😦 so no test flight or ground run today. Tomorrow is supposed to be cold windy and rainy so I guess the flight and ground run will have to wait. Oh well.
Time spent today 3.5 hours total time spent 87.5 hours
January 9, 2009
I spent the day finishing off the mold for the oil cooler hood. I was lucky and found the right size foam cylinder for the SCAT duct. I used some clay to make the radius’s. Most of the time was spent making the oil dip stick door. I used Tony’s (Wolf Aircraft) advice on utilizing the blank that I cut out for the door for the door itself. This worked out great. I added a shim on the piano hinge to make the top of the piano hinge sit flush with the top of the cowl. I also added a piece of the 0.032 aluminum for the door to rest against and a place for the camlock fastener receptical. Anyway I am really happy with the door and it is perfectly placed. I went home later and glassed up the hood with a couple of layers.
Time spent 9 hours total time spent 84 hours