November 19, 2011
Yesterday I got in an order from Aircraft Spruce which had a 1 ft stick of 3/4″ delrin plastic and 6″ Ceconite 102 light for the the aileron coves. I also got some other stuff but they are unimportant to this post. The reason I needed the delrin plastic is that I 4 of my rudder cable fair leads are 3/4″ 0.049 tub rather than the standard 7/8″ 0.049 tube. Well I couldn’t find a parts supplier that has the fair lead so I decided to make my own for the 4 that I needed. I used my drill press and angle grinder similar technique as a lathe and turned out 4 new fair leads. After the fair leads were fabricated I started working on the large tip tapes on the upper wing. I cut out another tip tape for the right side of the upper wing. I went ahead and installed the two tapes and glued them down. They tape alot of heat to get them to conform to the shape but they do. I then cut out a finishing tape for the aileron coves and glued them in. While things were drying I marked out and started tapes for the left horizontal stabilizer.
Time spent today 5 hours
Total time spent 944
November 18, 2011
Today I got right to work finishing the elevator trim tab which I folded last night. I got everything situated (piano hinge and tab) then I drilled 9 holes and use some cherry blind rivets to secure everything I checked the fit and everything was good so I started in on covering the elevator. I got the elevator completely covered by the nights end.
Time spent today 4.5 hours
Total time spent 939 hours
November 16, 2011
Tonight I received my torque tube mount bolts, custom rudder cables, and fairleads from aircraft spruce. I got right to work with the installation of the rudder cable to make sure they fit, and they do. I had to pull the aft end of the fuse out of the rotissere so that I could temp install the rudder to check the cables and measure the exit points of the rudder cables for when I do fabric work. I then started working on the torque tube install. I had installed the stick and the control tube within the torque tube already but realized that I had to remove everyting to get the torque into place. So I did all that go the torque tube in place and got everything tighted down. I then hooked up the control tubes from the elevator to the torque tube idler. I have a bit of travel issues on the aileron because the bearings only move 10 degs either direction and I need them to move 20 deg either direction. I think if I offset the bearings I get a full 10 either direction but I need to mess with that. I would just install a HEIM bearing that had 20 deg of mis-alignment but I can’t find one that is 1/4″ bore and 5/16-24 threads in the female side. More work to be done there. I then moved on to the elevator trim tab. The last trim tab was installed using PK screws through a piano hinge I re-drilled for K1000-8 nut plate for a #8 screw. I need to make to the airport to fold the trim tab up for install. I then can cover that elevator since it is ready.
Time spent tonight 3 hours
Total time spent 932 hours
October 24, 2011
I packed up the truck with the fuselage, Stabs, Rudder, Elevator, all the control tubes, I-struts, and a box full of parts and pieces. The powder coater I used will be media blasting, phosphate wash and Powder coating with TCI 9840 Signal white. The powdercoat is a Polyester TGIC powder which has excellent chemical resistance and is nice and crack resistant. So hopefully I will be able to go pick it up by the end of the week. Also made up some really detailed instructions and photos with labels at the below links.
Powder Coating parts pictures.ppt
October 10, 2011
I have been busy in the basement the last couple of days. I finished welding the elevator control tube rod ends on all three control tubes so that’s 5 total. I cut out tail wheel steering horn and welded the attachment tube to it. After I did that I aligned the steering horn and drilled the holes for the two AN3 bolts. I cut and welded rudder pedal gussets that are to help support the brake pedal and give more surface area for my toes to rest. I built an engine support with caster so that I could separate the engine from the fuselage but keep it in a position to roll around as required. Once the engine was separated I rolled the fuselage over and finished all the bottom side welds. After all that was completed, I think I’m done welding… I called my powder coating shop and re-confirmed my powder coating date 2 weeks from now. I then quickly packed for my 9 day work trip.