March 30, 2012
Two day roll up post for the 29-30 Mar. In preparation for top coat I needed to put a white coat of Eko-fill onto the items getting painted blue to give the color a bit of depth. I shot the I-struts and rudder after I rubbed them down with some scotch brite. The white eko fill like to run so I set the gun at 3/4 turn out from closed and moved fast. Several very light coats with drying in between works way better than runs. It only takes two light cross coats to change the color to white.
The next day I sanded the white eko fill with the scotch brite again, wiped them down with a rag and alcohol while blowing compressed air on them. I mixed up my custom color blue and shot those nice and shiny blue.
Time spent 8 hours
Total time spent 1223
Unrelated to the airplane build, my buddy came over so I could paint a couple of scallops on his motorcycle fuel tank. After doing some dent filling with bondo we primered it with Eko-prime sanded it smooth with 320 and then shot the blue onto it and it came out fantastic. It really proves out versatile the Stewart Systems products are.
March 17, 2012
Today I took the morning to go flying with my buddy to work on my instrument rating. This afternoon I started prepping the left side cowling for paint. It will need a bit of body filler as this is the side that I had to widen for the engine to fit. It also has some areas that need some filler to fill in some voids after the molding process. I started by sanding all the gel coat down with 320 to give it some grit for the paint and to also clean it up since it had bugs and other things on it. The sanding worked really well the cowling looks great. After that I re-installed the ladder back into the paint booth and hung the I-struts, right stab, rudder and elevators for their 3rd cross coat.
Time spent 5 hours
Total time spent 1190 hours
March 16, 2012
Today I spent the day first sanding everything I sprayed the day before which was the I-struts, horizontal tails, elevators, rudder and fuselage. After the fuse was sanded I sprayed a 2nd cross coat of Eko-fill on to it. With the 100 watt light bulb test I could still see light through in some areas so it still needs another cross coat which is what I planned for anyway.
Time spent today 5 hours
Total time spent 1184 hours
March 15, 2012
Today I took a half day off work I got right to work by removing all the parts I shot the night before and pulling the fuselage in for 1 more half cross coat of eko fill white. By the time all this happened the mail man and just delivered my new variable speed orbital palm sander and with this new set up sanding is easy and got right to work sanding the elevators, stabs, rudder and I-struts. I also used my square palm sander with the red scotch bright for areas like the rib stitches and the leading and trailing edges of the parts. Once the sanding was done I wanted to shoot a coat of grey on to the fuselage but I also wanted to see how my sanding was working on so I also shot the 2nd cross coat on my left horizontal stabilizer. Once those dried I pulled them out of the booth and I spent some time figuring out a way to secure all the other parts so that they are rigid but I could also get around them to paint them with out touching them. I took half of my extension ladder and wired it to the ceiling to secure them to it using some spare wood, screws and clamps. after I had this all figured out I was to a break for dinner which gave me enough time to sand the 2nd cross coat on the left horizontal stabilizer so I could shoot a 3rd cross coat on that while shot the second X coat on all the rest of the parts. With the ladder holding everything tight I was able to do all the above parts in one sitting.
Time spent 8 hours
Total time spent 1179 hours
February 12, 2012
Spent Friday afternoon, a very small part of saturday and a good chunk of Sunday applying Eko-fill to the horizontal stabs, elevators, rudder and lower right wing. I started finish Ironing the rest of the surface followed by a throuough cleaning of each surface with the Eko-clean followed by a rinse.
****IMPORTANT NOTE: I want make it a point to all that read this that the Terry Cloths that Stewarts recommends are NOT to be used atleast from Lowes or Advanced Auto. They leave little invisable fuzz balls on the wing. This is a takeaway from the lower side of my upper wing. I have found that jersey cloths from Lowes are just as inexpensive and DON’T leave little fuzz balls that you can’t see until you apply the first coat of Eko-fill.
After I switched to the Jersey cloths all I was left with was a beautifully smooth surface ready for spraying without a rough sanding required. Anyway I applied the first coat of Eko-fill friday night to one side of all the surfaces. Saturday morning I flipped them over and applied the first coat to the other side of all the surfaces. Sunday I applied the second part (to make 1 cross coat) they dried fairly quickly and I was able to flip them over and coat the bottom side to finish them off.
After that was all done I started prepping the lower left wing for fabric. I sprayed the wing with compressed air while wiping with a clean jersey cloth to get it clean. I then marked and drilled the stitch holes through the I-stut section and wing walk. I lightly sanded the holes to “debur them” I also vacuumed them out to get all the tailings out. Finally I pre-glued the areas for the bottom side of fabric. After that was dry, cut and trimmed the fabric to size and ironed it down to the glue. After I got everything sitting pretty I glued them down with the Eko-bond. Once everything was dry I did the initial shrink to 250 F.
Time spent (3 days): 10 hours
Total Time Spent: 1100 hours