Priming the canopy metal and Painting the Upper wing (again!)

May 19, 2012

So today I thought it was high time to give the upper wing another shot of paint. But before I did that I thought it was also high time to prime my canopy parts so that I could top coat those this weekend. I did that and took a couple hour break to let them dry.

After several hours I started in on moving my upper wing into the booth and in prepparation to paint. I cleaned it off with compressed air and alcohol damp rag and then started mixing paint. As you may remember the last time I started off with a new gallon of paint that was later deemed a bad lot of paint. I confirmed this with my new batch of paint since it set up right at the 10 minute marks for both the first and second coat. The third coat took a little bit longer maybe 20-25 minutes. But not big deal there just gave me more time to mix up my second batch of paint. After the third coat I estimated that I would need about 300 more grams of paint to finish to include what was in my pot. I was off by 25 grams it seems as I ran out of paint with two rib bays to go. I ran out of the booth mixed up 50 more grams and finished shooting the wing with no ill effects. Just so I don’t forget I also painted my instrument panel as well.

Well the end result was fantastic, they look glossy and smooth!

Time spent today 4 hours
Total time spent 1328 hours

Advertisements

Shooting test panels of Eko-poly

March 27, 2012

So the last couple of days I have been shooting test panels of the Eko-poly in the different colors to re-aquaint myself with the process and gun speed, quanitity and timing. To date I have shot 3 22X28″ panels of poster board. Last night I masked off one of the blue test pieces with some fine line and my other masking tapes to test tape making techniques, tape pulling techniques and more painting techniques. I have been getting really good results and I think i’m ready for the game day. I think I will try it out on the stabilizers and elevators tomorrow.


Eko-fill on the lower wings

March 24, 2012

Two day roll up post. The last couple of days I have been working on the lower wings which are the last pieces I have left to fill before topcoat. On Friday I scuff sanded (wiped carefully) the brush coat of lower wings. I then put them in the paint booth and shot the first cross coat. The next day I promptly pulled the wings (one at a time) to sand them. After I was done I sprayed the 2nd cross coat. After 2 hours I was able to sand again and then finally at 1 am I sprayed the 3rd cross coat. Eko-fill complete, time for topcoat, nuff said.

Time spent 12 hours
Total time spent 1212 hours.


Spraying the 2nd cross coat and priming the left cowling extension

March 20, 2012

Tonight I cleaned off the upper wing and re-hung it in the paint booth and shot the 2nd cross coat. I also shot the lower left cowling extension with the white primer. Not much to else to say.

Time spent 2 hours
Total time spent 1200 hours


Spraying the Upper wing and body filler on the cowling

March 18, 2012

Today I spent a bunch of time working on each cowling. I spent most of the time on the cowling that needed an extension to fix the engine (left side) it took several iterations to get the cowling as smooth as I wanted but I eventually did. I also prepped the upper wing by wiping it with 320 sandpaper to get the bumps off from the brush coats of Eko-fill. I then hung it in the paint booth and sprayed it. I found that one cross coat of the upper wing with the 1.3mm tip 23-25 psi at the gun takes approx 2/3 of the hopper of paint. After it was done and dried I did the initial sanding with my orbital sander and scotch brite pad.

Time spent today 8 hours
Total time spent 1198 hours


3rd X coat on the Istruts, stabs, rudder and elevators starting cowling prep

March 17, 2012

Today I took the morning to go flying with my buddy to work on my instrument rating. This afternoon I started prepping the left side cowling for paint. It will need a bit of body filler as this is the side that I had to widen for the engine to fit. It also has some areas that need some filler to fill in some voids after the molding process. I started by sanding all the gel coat down with 320 to give it some grit for the paint and to also clean it up since it had bugs and other things on it. The sanding worked really well the cowling looks great. After that I re-installed the ladder back into the paint booth and hung the I-struts, right stab, rudder and elevators for their 3rd cross coat.

Time spent 5 hours
Total time spent 1190 hours


Sanding the 2nd X coat and spraying the 2nd coat of grey on the fuse

March 16, 2012

Today I spent the day first sanding everything I sprayed the day before which was the I-struts, horizontal tails, elevators, rudder and fuselage. After the fuse was sanded I sprayed a 2nd cross coat of Eko-fill on to it. With the 100 watt light bulb test I could still see light through in some areas so it still needs another cross coat which is what I planned for anyway.

Time spent today 5 hours
Total time spent 1184 hours