Counter balancing and Attaching the ailerons

September 4, 2012

So Monday evening I double checked my math with the ailerons attached to the wings and slave struts attached to the ailerons. I used a Gatorade bottle safety wired to the upper aileron at the leading edge tube and poured 1 lb 8 oz of weight (I used BB’s they were cheap to buy and heavy) to balance the ailerons with the fuse level. So that meant that I needed 0.75 lb of weight in each aileron. I took each aileron home to balance them that night.

Tuesday after work I took the ailerons back out to the airport for final installation (I hope). This time I used new and correct sized hardware along with castellated nuts and cotter keys. What a damn bitch these things are to install! Getting the bolt in is no problem getting the washer and nut on is a another story, especially on the center hinge with the control arm in the way. It took an assortment of special tools like ratcheting end wrench, curved hemostats for pliers and box end plugs to go into my sockets to turn my sockets into low profile socket wrenches when accompanied by the ratcheting end wench and my hangar mates cool new low profile craftsman socket set. Side note everyone needs a set of these things I will be buying set soon. Anyway 6 hours later all were installed. I hope they don’t have to come off for any reason!

Time spent 8 hours
Total time spent 1590 hours


Masking the lower right wing and shooting silver on the ailerons

June 15, 2012

Today I started by re-masking the silver areas on the ailerons from painting the blue and then I sanded and shot them silver. While the paint was drying I started laying out the lines for the lower right wing. I got the bottom and top laid out and the I masked them for the blue and sanded the wing areas for shooting them blue tomorrow.

Time spent 8 hours
Total time spent 1388 hours

Spraying the ailerons blue and installing the instruments into the panel

June 14, 2012

Tonight I decided to get the blue on the lower ailerons that I had masked off. I loaded them into the blue and sprayed the blue horizontally to make life easier since I had tons of room to lay them flat. I used my trusty extension ladder that is now color coordinated with the airplane for a table. After that I worked on installing the instruments into the panel for the last time. I then installed the panel into the fuselage.

Time spent: 4 hours
Total time spent 1380 hours

Masking ailerons for blue

June 13, 2012

Tonight I spent some time masking off the areas of the ailerons that were going to get painted blue. This is kind of a a paint because there are some weird intersections at the nose where the bottom scheme flows into the top scheme. Anyway I got three of them masked off and I will spray the blue on them later this week.

Time spent 4 hours
Total time spent 1376 hours

Masking the upper wings for blue

June 1, 2012

Today I got started on the upper wing masking.  This was going to be a bit more challenging as I have a) match what did on the lower wing and also make it symmetrical.  Like most seemingly  hard parts of this project I give it way to much thought and not enough action.  I started by installing the upper ailerons.  I then went on to measuring some of the lines on the lower wing where they intersected at some ribs.  I marked those locations with some tape and the just like I did on the lower wing I just started laying line free hand making sure to hit my marks.  I would say I have it within a 1/8″.  I also noticed that my fine line tape wasn’t sticking very well.  I remembered that Stewarts tells you to wipe the whole surface down with alcohol first, which worked much better.   Once I had the line for the upper wings marked I moved on to the lower side.  I again went with 15″ spacing for the invasion stripes.  This matches the lowers, witch works out nicely.  Laying out all these line was pretty time consuming with loads of measuring.  Once every thing was laid out I moved onto masking the white and silver areas.  Lots of used masking tape here.  I think I have about $80 in masking tape by now but it’s good stuff so I can’t complain.  I have found that if I buy the really discounted 3m 233+ tape from TCP global and then pay the shipping it’s the same cost as just going to car quest to get it.   Any this was a 2 day roll up post.


Time spent last 2days: 9 hours
Total time spent 1358 hrs

Top coat on the upper ailerons, throttle panel and wobble pump lever

April 28, 2012

Today. I spent some time prepping the upper ailerons for top coat. I started by cleaning them of all the dust over the last 8 months of sitting around and then I sanded them and scotch-brited them. I also wanted to get some paint on the throttle panel and wobble pump lever so I loaded them into the booth as well. I mixed up paint and shot them to a nice pretty white.

Time spent today 4 hours
Total time spent 1272 hours

Finish filling the upper right aileron

August 4, 2011

Roll up post again on the coats of filler for the upper right aileron. So using the scotch-brite technique works really well especially if you attach it to a jitter bug sander. The only problem is that if you have a few bumps or places that need to be leveled you still need to have the sand paper around. What I found is that if you lightly sand all the bays just to level things out and then follow with the scotch brite you will get a great finish.

Time spent 4.5 hours
Total time spent 724 hours