Lower Ailerons #14, Upper Ailerons #5

Lower Ailerons:
Today I decided to get to and start riveting the lower aileron tip flanges. I pulled all the clecos on the tip and deburred all the flanges. I used my squeezer and some button head solid rivets and bucked those in. There were some tight spots so I went with a cherry rivet where it was too tight to squeeze a solid rivet. I did both the left and right side lower ailerons.

Upper Ailerons:

I had some time left in the day and enough clecos left to do atleast one more leading edge. Started the upper left aileron leading edge install. I started with the angle brackets that keep the trailing edge in its proper location. I then installed the cherry rivets in the trailing edge.

After that moved on to the actual leading edge. This time however, I actually took some time to take some what step by step pictures of how I did this. First thing to do is make sure the aileron is straight as it can possibly be. To do that I used a 2″X2″ aluminum extrusion that I borrowed from a friend. I clamped that on one side of the trailing edge with a wood stick on the other and voila straight as the extrusion no problem (BTW any extrusion or angle that is straight will work). I took some wood and stood the clamps off the leading edge so as to make sure they didn’t affect where the leading edge sat on the radus of the sheet metal. I used clamps in three different locations to make sure it was down flush. If you have to make sure you don’t over clamp and crush the nose pieces.

I then used some long peices of wood and pulled each end together (because that is the easiest place to pull the ends together) Then I just keep adding clamps and tightening them till the leading edge is flush and tight. Also note that the wood is down far enough so that I can drill holes and install clecos (so slightly colinear to the front spar face).

I then removed the vertical clamps and moved the aileron over to my table for drilling the first attachment holes. I reinstalled the vertical clamps to make sure everything stays tight while I drill the attachment holes. To drill the attachment holes I measure the inside of the flange up to the edge of the leading edge sheet metal I then subtract 3/16″ off that measurment and then mark that on the outside of the leading edge down from the trailing of the leading edge (I know confusing) This seems to work every time for me. I always check every time just in case I need to make correction on the next one.

I was able to get all the rib intersections drilled and clecoed last night.

Time spent today: 5 hours
Total time spent: 274.5 hours

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: